INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Friday, August 23, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride - Part 2 Day 76 - Chimney Rock RV Park, Harrodsburg, KY (Rest Day)

Friday, August 23rd, 2019

Ride Report: None - Planned Rest Day

And there was plenty of resting going on.  I had big plans to wash The Rig, but that all fell by the wayside when it rained most of the morning.  Kinda hard to motivate one's self to wash something as big as The Rig and stand in the rain doing it.  Who am I kidding, it's had to get motivated to wash it pretty much any time - the rain was just a handy excuse.

And speaking of The Rig...

This is it between rain squalls this morning.  Note the wet pavement.  Can't have the reader thinking I'm anything but absolutely honest in my posts now, can we?


Right across from the rig was the building in which the RV Park houses its laundry machines.  Two each: washers and dryers.  Susan disappeared in there this morning and came out about noon.  At the opposite end of the building from the laundry facilities is an open air gathering area with a huge carved wooden bear out front. 


Then it was on to cooking some of the stuff we'll be eating next week.  I helped.  Which one of these burgers doesn't fit with the others?  Correct.  Three are overdone and one is just right.  That one in the bottom right needs flipped before it gets charred beyond recognition like the other three.  Susan thought this cooking ahead thing would be a good idea (and I agreed) since cooking in The Rig when it's hot outside makes hard for the A/C to keep up.  We made that mistake once.


I made my specialty - no bake cookies.  Though mine are usually monster sized.  I pared these down a bit because the usual size might not fit in my jersey pocket when I'm riding.  And trust me, I have plans for these babies - if I can get 'em away from Susan.


I spent a good bit of time here this morning because of said rain.  The reader should note the cool charging station in the cabinetry above the love seat.  Formerly there was a solid panel there and wasted space behind it.  Before we left on The Thin Blue Ride, I ordered the little charging thingy on-line and it shipped to me direct from China!  Crazy.  Now the government of Communist China has my home address.  Hmmmm...  Anyway, after I installed it I concluded that this is much better. 


Susan and me on the way to the eatery down at the marina, which is conveniently located just below the RV park.  The mother-in-law of the lady who owns the RV Park owns the restaurant.  When I took the pic we were standing on the walkway that goes out to the floating restaurant.  I understand the whole displacement thing and how it makes stuff float, but I find it disconcerting to be walking on styrofoam topped concrete anyway.  The reader should note the stylish Yosemite ball cap, which was purchased in the park by the author.  I don't typically go for the mesh vented trucker hat, but made an exception in this case because of the cool plastic badge on the front.
Susan says to inform the reader that it was windy and her hair doesn't  normally look like this.


Cindy (who owns the RV park) assured us that tonight at the marina restaurant was all you can eat catfish night.  She wasn't kidding.  Clockwise from top left of plate: catfish, hush puppies, sour cream and tarter sauce (in plastic containers), loaded baked potato (where the sour cream goes), useless lemon wedge, and corn puddin'.  No - not pudding - puddin'.  Plus, a dinner salad.  That's a lotta food.  I got all mine down, but couldn't ask for more fish.  Susan ate half of hers - lightweight.

Finally, we chatted up a lady tonight here in the RV Park who married a Kansas boy.  She said they haven't been back in 18 years.  I make no judgments concerning this, just reporting the facts.  When she asked where Manhattan was, I asked her if she remembered UK (no - not KU) losing in the NCAA Tournament two years ago to another Wildcat team.  She did.  Then she knew all about Manhattan, KS.

Pretty slim pickings here at The Thin Blue Ride today.  But if things go as planned, we hit Virginia this week.  We're back on the road tomorrow and will have more to report then.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment