INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride - Part 2 Day 30 - Grand Teton Nat’l Park, WY (“Rest Day”)

Tuesday, June 9th, 2019

Ride Report: None: “Rest Day”

OK - this is it, I promise.  After this, no Rest Days until we hit Breckenridge.  That will amount to eight straight days of riding.  Despite the no doubt vigorous and frequent accusations of sloth by one or two readers (I have spies everywhere) I don’t feel guilty since I rode seven straight days to get to West Yellowstone and will now ride the previously mentioned eight straight days.  So - only riding two out of the last five is entirely justified.  Thbbbbbbtttt!

We first had breakfast with KnK at the campground's restaurant.  Mine was quite good: scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy (I accidentally spilled an entire dipper of gravy on the eggs - darn), bacon, french bread (only a half slice - I'm watching my hips), and a waffle.  Oh - and some goon came by and slathered both my french bread and my waffle with syrup.  Unforgivable!  But what was I to do?  Can't waste it.  And that was it for breakfast.  Shortly after breakfast KnK departed for Boise and a flight back to KC tomorrow.  We prolly won't see them till after the ride when we return to Manhattan.

But today was hardly a rest day.  It was entirely taken up with reorganizing The Rig (two extra people for a week means moving lots of stuff around to accommodate), washing both bikes, laundry - you know the drill.  So there won’t be many pics today, but as always - you get what I have...


First of which is me oiling a squeaky hinge.   RVs are like houses with wheels and all the extra vibration driving the thing down the road means that there's always the possibility that something will need fixing.  For example, the screw holding the handle of the vent fan in the bathroom in place falls out at least weekly.  I really need to buy some lock-tite.  The entire bottom half of the cabinet we use for dining is devoted to tool storage.  Well...tools and my stash of Diet Pepsi that won't fit in the overhead cabinets.  Hey - a guy's gotta stay hydrated.


Delta following his bath.  He may have to go in for a check-up when we reach a reputable bike shop.  He's got a slight delay in shifting on the rear cog which I think indicates a loose shifter cable to the rear derailleur.  I'd try fixing it myself, but the last time I did so, it cost me more to fix it that if I'd just taken him to the shop in the first place.  Derailleurs everywhere were appalled by my attempt.  The guys at the bike shop in Manhattan told me not to "help" any more.  Very considerate of them, recognizing that I was helpful.  I like those guys.


Susan in the laundromat taking advantage of time between loads to study up on where we're going next, where we'll put The Rig when we arrive at the day's destination, etc.  She's quite the organizer.  Were it up to me I'd still be in Pocatello, ID now.  For the uninitiated, that would be way behind schedule and waaaay off route.
(The reader should note the route profile on the map she's examining.  I'm pretty sure I'll need a Sherpa and some bottled oxygen for that one mountain.  Yowza!)

After taking care of some of the chores, we went for a stroll (notably, not a "Hike") on one of the trails Kerrie showed Susan before they left this morning.  That occasioned some more good pics.  See below...

This might be our last look at the Tetons.  There was a short trail around a peninsula by the marina.  We took advantage of it for our stroll.


Just a little further down the trail.  I wish the mountains had come out better, but hey - I ain't gettin paid for this.


Then we ran across this sort of open spot in the trees.  I thought this was a good pic.  The trees are so tall and so...skinny.  I got the shot I wanted with the trees.  But the ground beneath them was very open, as opposed to the typical heavily overgrown forest floor, and had some lavender wildflowers blooming wherever the sun could reach the ground.

We had intended to cross over to an island adjacent to the peninsula on which we were hiking by virtue of a narrow path connecting the two.  But part way across the connecting path, we ran into a guy coming back from the island who told us that he had intended on hiking the same trail, but had run into a bear on the path.  Susan still wanted to forge ahead.  But me being the voice of reason in our relationship, I talked her into heading back.  But she was ready...


Susan after the bear report.  That's bear spray she's carrying in her left hand.  Its a highly concentrated pepper spray.  The guy who sold it to KnK told them that it causes blisters on people.  So, you could say that she's packing heat and is loaded for bear...if ya wanted to.  I know I will.

But all this talk of bears is a big deal around these parts.  Be "Bear Aware" is on signs all over the place.  They basically encourage one to consider how one will react to a bear encounter.  This in the interest of self preservation, and it occasioned no small amount of thought on my part.  When KnK were here I was charged with taking some meat "stuff" (hamburger wrappings, chicken goo from marinating chicken breasts - that sort of stuff) to the garbage.  I felt good about the dumpster - it was bear proof.  But what to do if accosted by a large bruin on the way there?  This could be disastrous, there are children all over the place, and there is only one of me.  After considerable thought I came up with this.  My plan was to pour the chicken goo on the slowest looking kid I could find and run like mad.  It seemed well thought out and perfectly plausible to me.  I explained it to Susan.  She thought differently.

Me thinks we'll snag some supper and then hit the hay early since tomorrow is Togwotee Pass - 9,621 elevation with about 3k of climbing.  Better eat a solid breakfast tomorrow.   Thank God for Reese's Puffs.

Till next time. 












2 comments:

  1. I almost didnt see you oiling the door. There seemed to be a lot of glare, when I looked at picture. In all seriousness I'm jealous you got to see a grizzly chase an elk. Your pictures are breathtaking.

    Your friendly neighbor Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the grizzly came after me, but I used the reflection off my head to blind her and escaped. Elk have fur - so she went after them.

    BTW - I got some of your Kansas heat today: 92 with a “feels like” of 97 when I made it to Lander, WY. Last 30 miles into a headwind with 25 mph gusts. Wow.

    ReplyDelete