INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Thursday, July 11, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride - Part 2 Day 31 - Grand Teton Nat’l Park to Wind River Indian Reservation, 13 miles E of Dubois, WY

Wednesday, July 10th, 2019

Ride Report: 69 Miles, 1,471 Total Miles, 16.2 Avg mph, 3,324 Ft. Climbing, 5,251 Calories.  Max speed today was 42.6 mph. Also note that average speed.  Pretty darned good given all that time climbing. Woot! (Sorry, I picked that up from my daughter Kelsy.  I think it’s intended to express both excitement and approval.  Maybe…)

And before the reader asks, yes, we’re over-nighting on the Reservation.  We used Google Maps to find what turned out to be a (rather shabby) campground in which to boondock tonight.  It suits our purposes.  But other than some tire tracks in dried puddles, I see no recent signs that it has been inhabited and it shows signs of disuse.  Chief of which is that the concrete picnic tables (which are all in good shape) are overgrown with brush.  But it suits our purposes – and its free.  So here we are…

I think one would typically pay a good sum at an RV Park next to a river.  But not in this case.  We’re the only ones here.  Happily, this means no one out walking their yappers in the morning.  When they do it’s inevitable that they run into others doing the same and the dogs yap (hence the nomenclature) at each other.  The resulting yap-fest both wakes and irritates me.  But the irritation part is true of yappers in general – so maybe that’s the real problem.  But back to the day’s ride.

It went quite well.  There was obviously a good bit of climbing, but on this occasion that equated to a good bit of descending, though for a longer stretch but not as steep as the climb.  Here’s what it looked like…


Ignore that clutter in the foreground.  The hazy range in the distance is today’s obstacle.  We started at the Moran Entrance Gate to the Tetons this morning.  As it turns out, the climb started 8.8 miles later.  I met Susan for the first time at about 10 miles.  Her first words, “I think the real climbing has started already.”  She was spot on.


About a third of the way up, we met again at another pullout.  Since The Rig had been excluded from the blog lately, I took the opportunity to snap this pic.  Note the road winding back down the mountain in the background.  Then note the valley beside the road.  We’d just climbed up out of that valley.  Oh (yawn) and the Tetons in the background.  I really should charge you people to see this stuff.


At the next stop it was snack time and I elected to continue my research on the ability of Oreos to improve the taste of just about anything.  On this occasion one of the vegetable food group – the dreaded broccoli.  As it turns out, the Oreo Effect (my research partner’s name for it) even works on broccoli.  This has practical, every day uses.  For example, research suggests that parents can use Oreos to get their kids to eat broccoli.  Genius!


Well now, the big dogs have come out to play.  As we wound our way up the slope, our ultimate objective became clear - that's it in the distance - lurking.  Typical.  Stupid mountains.  Once again it’s difficult to tell from the pic, but the section Sig is standing in is about 5% slope.  The steeper section ahead ran 6-7%.


As we got closer to the top, this stair-stepped mountain showed up off to the side of the road.  It reminded me of the way hills in the Flint Hills around Manhattan develop the same stair step appearance.    Except its so tall nothing grows on it.  And it has snow in July. And it’s in Wyoming.


I believe that at 9,584 ft. elevation, this is the highest continental divide we’ve yet climbed.  So far as I could tell, I didn’t suffer from the altitude.  However, it was still pretty cool, though the open jersey might indicate otherwise.  Funny story of the day.  Just as I was pulling out from the continental divide, a touring rider was pulling up from the other side.  I engaged her in a short conversation and assured her that the fun part was coming now for both of us and pointed out the sign in the next pic.  Her response, “About time.  I totally earned that s#!t.”  The sign is the key.  See below…


I include this so that the reader can understand both her relief and her brief (if crude) description of human bodily functions.  And so that the reader can see what Sig and I climbed.  We climbed the shorter, steeper side of the mountain - if one considers 17 miles of 6% slope short.  She climbed the longer, shallower side.  Either way, it amounts to a LOT of work.


This was one of those occasions where the “pass” and the continental divide don’t quite line up.  I’m sure hydrologists and geologists get together at conferences to debate these things endlessly, (Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz – snork – the author wakes up) but to the layman it’s confusing.  Anyway, they were separated by about a quarter mile.  Whatever.  I was listening to my tunes as I climbed today.  Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love a Bad Name” was playing at the time.  It contains a line that starts with "Shot thru the heart".  How fitting…


I like to think of myself as bordering on sainthood.  If I could just get the nomination process going – any reader care to call His Holiness and recommend me for canonization?  But who needs a halo when you’ve got one like this?  Seriously, this was “my” sign – the one for the downhill run Sig and I would take.  Always a welcome sight.


This is a closer shot of that stair step mountain I mentioned earlier.  It was the one of only two in the area.  Curious.  (Used by permission of Susan Schoen Photography, LLC.  This pic may not be reproduced in any form without written permission of Susan Schoen Photography, LLC.)


Once over the mountain, things changed quickly.  Gone were the pine trees and foliage covered slopes.  They were replaced with this.  Not as eye catching, but still interesting.  I had my head down just riding along and when I looked up, I exclaimed, “Oh!” and had to stop for this pic.  They remind me of the painted hills we saw…somewhere earlier in the trip.  Neither Susan or I can recall right now where that was.


They continued on for quite some distance.  This pic was taken East of Dubois, WY.  Wouldn’t that be a great view from your back deck.  The reader should note the flags in the pic.  TAILWIND!
And that, readers, is it for the day.


Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment