INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Saturday, April 6, 2019

TEXAS TEST FLIGHT - DAY 16

Ride report: None.  Today was an unplanned rest day.  It rained overnight, misted throughout the morning, rained some more, and then drizzled on us all the way to Blanco where I thought I could get West of the rain.  Turns out not.   After I decided to pack it in, it rained on us all the way to Fredericksburg.  It was supposed to be a short day today anyway, just turned out to be a little shorter.  It finally cleared up at about mid afternoon, but by then I was committed to being a tourist of the ambulatory variety.

As it turns out, I’m OK with that.  I had already gotten in 11 long riding days with only one rest day in Austin.  So - as far as I’m concerned my two chief objectives have already been met.  1.  Determine whether I had trained sufficiently to handle said riding. (Yes) 2.  Live with Susan in a confined space and not cause her to kill me.  I suspect I can be a "challenge".  (So far so good - but I still have a few days left.)

Turns out there is some pretty cool stuff in Fredericksburg.  At least that’s what we heard last time we were here.  So today we checked.  Sure enough.  Did you know that Admiral Nimitz was from Fredericksburg? (Google him if ya don’t know). He was kinda a big deal in WWII.  Very interesting museum dedicated to the history of war in the Pacific during WWII.  And some REALLY cool exhibits.  You’ll get to see them in the pics below, but trust me, they’re more impressive in person.

Interesting observation of the day.  As we're waiting in line to pay our $30 to get into the museum, a nice elderly lady asked the guy behind the counter where the ships are.  He begins telling her about the submarine conning tower out front, the door off the Arizona, etc.  No - she's looking for a big ship.  I'm looking around...yep - looks like the middle of Texas to me.  Not sure how they'd float one up here, but I guess that's why I'm not the museum question answer guy.

Today’s big adventure was doing laundry in the laundry room at the RV Park.  We get to the building where the laundry room is supposed to be...  Me, “Where is it?”  Susan, “Check these doors.”  I wander off and report back a minute later that the only thing on the other half of the building is a rec room.  Susan, “I’ll go check on the map back in the RV.”  While she’s gone I discover the laundry room behind the door beside which she had set the laundry and begin loading some machines.  Susan returns and we commence work.  Me, “Did ya bring the roll of quarters?”  Susan, (sighs) “I’ll be right back.”  Susan returns and shortly things are headed for the dryer.  Me, “Where are the hangers?”  Susan, “I’ll be right back.”

From all this I learned that doing laundry is like a home improvement project.  It requires three trips to the hardware store before the task can be completed.  Any man can tell you that this is one of the maxims of home improvement.  Apparently laundry is the same, which is why so many women insist on a laundry room in the house rather than going to laundromats.  It makes the trips shorter.  I think that in all fairness, men should insist on a hardware store room in the house.

So, on with today’s cheesey tourist pics...



I proffer these first two pics simply as proof of the aforementioned rain.




This is really cool.  The conning tower off an actual WWII submarine is in the background.  In the foreground is a concrete edifice which looks like the front of said submarine.  In between the two are rolling "waves" of soil with ground cover thus making it appear as if an actual submarine is breaching the surface.


A Japanese float plane fighter.  Sounds like an oxymoron to me...  The Japanese had a name for it which was pretty much unpronounceable.  Our guys called em "Rex".


A Navy bomber like the one which George H W Bush was flying when shot down during the war.


An actual Mitchell B-24 bomber  This is the same type of plane with which the Doolittle raid on Tokyo was conducted..


A Japanese midget submarine.  5 attempted to enter Pearl harbor on the date which will live in infamy.  None were successful in their efforts to attack American naval forces.



The big guy himself.  Admiral Nimitz doing his best to pose as Brad Schoen...


Susan looking for some good help in the laundry room at the RV Park.


Good help...
Note the biker tan line which has developed during our time in Texas.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment