INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Monday, July 8, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride - Part 2 Day 27 - Yellowstone Nat’l Park (Rest Day)

Saturday, July 6th, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride – Part 2 – Yellowstone National Park, WY  

Ride Report: None – It was a Rest (tourist) Day

What a day.  I believe I mentioned in a previous post that my expectations for Yellowstone were considerably diminished by virtue to talking with some folks who had been there recently.  This is how I manage my expectations.  Fortunately, either all the bad stuff I had heard (horrible traffic, narrow roads, too many people, bad drivers, no bathrooms, etc.) failed to materialize, or I had managed (lowered) my expectations sufficiently that I was pleased with the day and with the Park in general.  We had a blast today.  Saw some really cool stuff, found services when we needed them, got around the park in short order.  Great.  Given that it was the week of the July 4th holiday, I think we were all pleasantly surprised.  Maybe one of the things we did that helped was got up early and hit the biggest attraction in the Park before most of the other tourist were out of bed.  The day started with us all bright eyed and bushy tailed…


It was a might chilly to start the day.  I think the overnight low was 39 degrees.  When the reader sees me wearing a North Face sweater on July 5th either Hell has frozen over or I’m at the continental Divide in Yellowstone.  This is the same sign that Keith and I stopped at for a pic when we rode over the pass.  This time an enterprising Asian tourist (Do any US citizens visit the park? If so we never saw any to have them take a pic for us.) took over the photographic duties.  And take over he did.  He was moving us around, telling us to smile – he was quite the organizer.  But the pic came out great.  Then it was off to Old Faithful.


We made it there in due course, grabbed some breakfast at the Yellowstone version of a Quick-Mart (bacon, cheese and egg muffins all around) and headed over to wait for Old Faithful (OF) to blow.  She’s just venting steam in this pic.  They have quite the seating arrangement.  It looked like about a 180 degree half circle of benches three rows deep.  All on an elevated platform in order that we tourists not damage the sacred ground around the geyser.


And blow she did – OF didn’t disappoint.  We got there early and were on the front row.  I also prepped Susan to get her ready for a selfie as OF was letting off steam.  I think it came out pretty well.


Then it was back to the Grand Prismatic Springs (GPS).  This time we headed up to the observation point on the side of a mountain maybe a quarter mile away from the GPS itself.  One gets there by using a trail from a different parking lot than that used to access the GPS like we did yesterday when Keith and I rode past.  It was 1.1 miles to the observation area.  So – 2.2 miles total.  I can handle that.  And the springs didn’t disappoint either.  If anything it looked even more impressive when one could actually take in the totality of the picture – as the reader can see when looking over Susan’s head.  Fortunately I married a short woman, otherwise a bunch of my pics with her would be just her and me.  As it is, I can usually fit some goodies in above her noggin.


Then came a near fatal mistake.  KnK had been thinking about hiking up to the Fairy Falls.  It wasn’t “too far”.  We then stopped some other person who had been on the same pilgrimage and they told us it was a quarter mile to the turnoff in the trail and then another 1.6 miles to the falls.  So off we went.  1/4 x 2 = ½ mile.  1.6 x 2 = 3.2 miles.  3.2 + the previously mentioned 2.2 = Bataan Death March. (Google it.)  This is a pic of KnK ahead of Susan and I on the “hike”.  We saw a lot of this view on the “hike”.  Side Bar: so far as I am able to determine, the word “Hike” has its roots in an ancient practice perfected in the dungeons of Midieval Europe, in which dungeon masters would drive hot metal spikes into the feet of those who had irritated the Royal Master.


But we eventually reached Fairy Falls.  This is it behind Susan and I.  I could fit most of it above her head, but even Susan is tall enough that I can’t fit a 197 foot waterfall entirely over her head.  It was very cool at the base.  When we arrived I asked KnK if the other people there would be upset if I stripped out of my clothes and headed for the pool below the falls.  An understanding woman of about my age said it was fine with her.  She had, no doubt, been tricked into “hiking” there by the same nefarious subterfuge as had I.


Even KnK appeared to be a bit warm as they both took up station on a huge log that had fallen across the creek.  The log had been put upon by enough tourists over the years that it was smooth and slick to the touch – almost as if it had been finely sanded.

After this we went our separate ways for a while.  KnK wanted to do more “hiking”.  Fool me once, shame on me.  Fool me twice – ain’t happening.  So, we grabbed some lunch and dropped them off at a trail head.  Trail heads are the Park Service’s version of the gates to perdition.  People go there to “hike”.  Anyway, after we left the kids to their suffering, Susan and I took the rental car and headed to the North end of the park and the Lamar Valley.  The Yellowstone River runs thru the valley and the valley is purported to be the place to go in the Park to see wildlife.  Something Susan and I were both interested in – because it didn’t involve “hiking”.


And see wildlife we did.  Though it’s a bit hard to make out – this is a black bear.  He was munching on something he was stripping from the bushes by mouth.  I suspect he loves huckleberries as much as me and that’s what he was eating.  Good Lord but people went crazy trying to get a pic of the poor creature.  He seemed surprisingly unconcerned about the hubbub.


To get to the Lamar Valley one must go up and over a mountain pass.  And this one is up there a ways.  At one point we were above snow on the mountains below us.  Anyway, one also must drive past the “Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.  Having just been there, its not as impressive as the real deal, but it was a sight to see none-the-less.  This is the “shallow” end where the River just starts to break out into a valley.  Just a quarter mile up the road it was bluffs on both sides.  Impressive.


Until today we hadn’t seen much wildlife in the park.  I was beginning to fear that I’d be the only tourist since the inception of the Park NOT to see a Bison.  But the trip to the Lamar Valley allayed those fears, as this pic can attest.


And this one.  Bison are apparently easily tired...


And just around the corner at the next traffic jam were these characters – Bighorn Sheep.  They look kinda nasty right now since they’re currently shedding their winter coats.  There were a number of ewes and one small ram whose horns had just started to develop the characteristic curl.


Then it was on to Pronghorn Antelope.


And on the way back all of the Bighorn Sheep had disappeared except for this dilettante, who was standing in the road obstructing traffic.  A Park Ranger came by and clapped at her, as a result of which she sauntered over to the shoulder where Susan snapped this pic.  The reader can see what I was talking about when I said they were shedding their winter coats.


Typically, my posts have been more about the scenery.  It's not that the scenery here in the Park is second rate – far from it.  It was just overshadowed by my desire to see wildlife.  But the scenery was still amazing as this pic will attest.  This was on the way back from the Lamar Valley to pick up KnK.


Kerrie snapped this pic of two Trumpeter Swans on the way back to The Rig.  They were right beside the road.


And then there was this.  We were all watching Bison in some trees on the other side of the road when these two caught my eye.  Actually, it was the burst of motion.  One of them was feeling amorous – the other not so much.  Anyway, Keith turned, had a cow and demanded the camera with which he shot this pic.


And lest the reader forget that there are a lot of Bison in the Park, I proffer one last pic.  These bulls are huge.  Apparently in excess of 2,000 pounds.  Wow.  Good thing they’re relatively docile if one stays at an appropriate distance.

So that was it for the day reader.  Count that as one cheesey tourist day in the books.

Till next time. 













































No comments:

Post a Comment