INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Monday, August 19, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride - Part 2 Day 72 - Marion, KY to Glenville, KY

Monday, August 19th, 2019

Ride Report:  64 Miles, 3,254 Total Miles, 16.2 Agv. Mph, 3,140 Ft. Climbing, 5,315 Calories.  Sadly, despite the whopping calorie burn today, there is no hamburger in my future tonight.  We’re staying at the Glenville Baptist Church parking lot.  Baptists apparently not being big fans of greasy fast food, there isn’t a hamburger joint within 10 miles of the church as the crow flies.  Either there's an exclusion zone around Baptist Churches or it has something to do with the fact that both Glenville and its associated Baptist Church are in the middle of nowhere.  Susan keeps mentioning salad for dinner tonight.  Hmmm... hamburger or rabbit food.  Tough call...

Susan says its not like I get any choice in the matter.  Well then.

Riding conditions were tough but doable today.  Heat and hills, but not much in the way of wind.  That said, the heat index was 104 when we arrived shortly after 1400 today.  I was goin thru water like a dehydrated camel at an oasis.  How hot and humid was it?  We threw some dry spaghetti on the sidewalk.  When we came back 8 minutes later, it was boiled and ready to eat.  Well - except for having been on the sidewalk.

Terrain wise, it certainly is hilly here in Western Kentucky.  It’s not so much long, tall, steep hills (like Missouri - tho there are a few of those) as it is small rollers.  But those are relentless.  And by small I mean anything with an elevation gain of maybe 50-100 feet.  So, in summation - it’s good to be done and sitting inside in the air conditioned comfort of our mansion on wheels updating you, my loyal followers.  OK - just followers. Here’s today...


First pic of the morning - about a half mile in to a 64 mile day.  This is Western Kentucky - all day long.  The flat spot leading to the hill in the distance was one of the few flat spots today.


Kentucky Believes!  This will make getting around the state much easier.


I liked this pic.  It's still early in the morning, so I'm sure the humidity contributed to the haze around the old silo - I kinda like the look.


I showed up for my first break and Susan had just been to the grocery store before I arrived.  Has the reader heard of these?  The good folks at Little Debbie just keep coming up with genius ideas.  These things are rectangle shaped, wafery cookie sandwiches filled with peanut butter and coated ALL OVER with chocolate.  Amazing - just amazing.  They practically melt in your mouth and come wrapped in two packs so ya get more than one for each serving.  Where the heck were these when I was a kid?  If you're like me and just learning of this cellophane wrapped bit of culinary genius, go get some and live the high life. 


But back to Kentucky...  The Road Department here in Kentucky could stand some advice from their marketing department.  Right in front of their sign is one of the larger road collapses I ran across today.  Not gonna win the taxpayer over that way...  File this under "ironic". 


There are some nice spreads around here.  I grabbed a pic of this one as I rode by at 18 mph.  C'mon - look at that pic.  Perfectly framed with me, the tree and the house under the overhanging branches of said tree.  All at 18 mph.  It's a gift...


There were some pretty views of the countryside today.  This being but one example.  I stopped for this pic and zoomed a bit.  The whole zooming thing taking two fingers on an I-phone, I've yet to figure out how to do it while riding and not drop the phone.  Maybe ya can zoom with one finger and a nose or something?  One thing is certain.  A finger and a tongue won't work.


It's a bit hard to tell, but that cornfield in the distance (behind the trees) went on for several miles on either side of the pic.


This was right outside The Rig at our next to last break of the day.  I'm pretty sure that with all these signs ya could get anywhere from Paducah to Pocatello from here.  Note the nifty "bike route 76" sign.  That's the only one Delta and I needed.


Some big river or another on today's route.  There was no sign naming it.  Note the deep green color.  Most of the larger rivers I saw today were this color.  Lot of corn and beans grown around here.  Fertilizer/crops/algae?  I'm thinkin it's a possibility.


Don't see this in Kansas - tobacco.  I expected to see some guy named Phillip Morris out there tending individual plants.  Kinda like Juan Valdez does with all that coffee in Columbia.


Me - cooling down in The Rig at the end of the riding day.  Tho the reader can't tell, it felt so good I was wriggling my toes.

We did have a slight mishap today...

Readers should get out their magnifying glass and take a look at this injury.  My Teamster banged her knee on the "threshold" of the RV door during one of today's breaks.  She claims that since she was taking my sweaty gear out to hang on the trailer so it could dry, this is a worker's comp. injury.  She was limping around The Rig like a peg legged pirate Captain and sounding like Moaning Myrtle from the Harry Potter movies.  I'll be sure and report if treatment requires amputation or a band-aid.

Till next time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment