INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Sunday, June 16, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride - Part 2 Day 7 - Prineville, OR (Rest Day)

Ride Report: 2 Miles, 382 Total Miles, 10 Ft. Climbing, 61 Calories.  Disclaimer - the only riding I did today was when Susan and I toodled over to a local restaurant for a Father's Day outing.

And a rest day it was, as evidenced by the pic below.

No better way to spend an afternoon, mind you.

There were a few chores left to take care of.  I washed all our bikes and lubed the chains to prepare for the next week's riding.  Susan took care of the interior stuff - cleaned the RV up - that sort of thing.  Its a great blessing having her along.  Life is so much easier when some of the day to day life stuff is taken care of.  I have sympathy for the self contained tourers.  Tearing down a tent every day, setting it up at night, finding food, going at a much slower pace and thus more time on the road due to carrying all their gear - it all consumes so much time that from what I've read their entire life becomes about the ride.  The way we're doing it we have some spare time to ourselves.  Plus, we kinda like hanging out together.  Anyway, on with the day's report.  Other than what I've already described, that starts at about 1700.

This is Susan leading the peloton on the way to dinner.  Having an apparent disdain for riding in the bike lane, I was left to hang on for the 1 mile route.  As the reader knows from today's ride report, it was all uphill - 10 feet uphill, but uphill none-the-less.  What can I say, she's a climber.


Once firmly ensconced at our table I ordered the prime rib.  Hey - it is Father's Day, after all.  Dunno who decided to put those green things on my plate.  Again, not being much of a horticulturalist, I've no idea what they are.  Susan mumbled something about beans that are green.


Then there was this guy hanging right above us.  Notice how he's giving me the stink eye.  He kept that up for the majority of the meal.  I figure word of my elkburger back in Terrebonne got out and he's letting me know he doesn't take kindly to my menu selection.


But I wasn't intimidated.  I told him to back off or I'd talk to the proprietor about turning him into one of these - also hanging on the wall.  That did the trick and I was able to enjoy my meal in relative peace...


As evidenced by this pic.  Notice that I left the beans green alone.  I wanted to do my part to maintain a healthy relationship between we carnivores and the vegetarian crowd.  Showing the beans some kindness can't hurt.


And finally, when we were seated at the restaurant Susan struck up a conversation with the people seated next to us.  They were locals and amenable to a chat.  Their names are Tom and Judy.  That would be Judy on the right.


They were quite interested to hear about The Thin Blue Ride.  Tom happens to be a rider himself, though of the sort who uses a throttle rather than pedals.  He was telling us about going up to remove mill equipment from mills in the damaged area around Mount Saint Helens within 60 days of the eruption.  He also had a story that started off about being on a motorcycle in the southern California  desert with his buddies years ago and coming across a desert tortoise that he picked up and put on his gas tank to transport back to where his friends all were so he could show em the tortoise.  It evolved into finding some railroad tracks on the San Andreas Fault that had dropped several feet, thus severing the then abandoned tracks during an earthquake.  Anyway - when he finished the story Judy asked, "What about the turtle?"  It was hilarious.  We all laughed.  As I recall the tortoise turned out fine.  He showed it to his buddies and let it go.  Prolly wouldn't wanna pick one up today.  I think they're protected?  It was fun to meet them.  Judy's son lives in Gardner, Kansas.  Susan's sister-in-law, Ronda, is from the Gardner area as well and she worked in Gardner for a number of years.  It was the whole six degrees of Kevin Bacon thing.  Google it. 

And that, readers, is what a rest day looks like.  Back in the saddle tomorrow.

Till next time.










No comments:

Post a Comment