INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Friday, August 9, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride - Part 2 Day 62 - Pittsburg, KS (Rest Day)

Friday, August 9th, 2019

Ride Report: None - Rest Day

With nothing else to report (Rest Days can be that way, but I guess that’s kinda the point.) I am forced to let the creative juices flow.  It’s kinda like freestyle ice skating.  It’s still really good, and it looks like they’re just out there just gliding around and winging it, but a lot went on behind the scenes before the crowd throws roses on the ice.  So - get your roses ready...


Laundry time again.  The problem with doing one's laundry early due to rain is that the set I wore to Pittsburg was soaked when I arrived.  So, I broke out the super deluxe model washing machine that doubles as our trash can and flipped the grey handle to the right, which is "washing machine mode".  Like magic - a washing machine appeared.  After the appropriate pre-soak cycle...


...it was time to agitate the load.  This is my back-up agitator.  The primary agitator said she was busy inside cooking bacon so she could feed me next week.  Well - I'm all in favor of that.  Having experience agitating...things, I gave it some extra time.  It seemed the wise thing to do.  Oh - and I left the primary agitator alone for a while, which seemed equally as wise in the moment.


Then it was time for the boys' baths.  Sig is out of the tub already, but Delta is still up there playing in the water.  Someday when they come home with a cute girl's bike, I'll use this pic to embarrass them.  Just look at 'em.  Neither is wearing their saddle bag.


And speaking of Delta, this is his saddle - but the boys have identical saddles.  Trust me, it's just easier that way.  Anyway,  I bring this up so that when I inform the reader that I spent about 20 hours in the saddle last week, they have a greater appreciation of what that actually means.  It means this: even my butt gets sore occasionally.


When I finally let Delta down from his bath he was running around like crazy - at least when he wasn't busy trying to rub his handlebars, and roll around on his back, in the grass.  I finally got him to stand still for a pic.  To date, I think the only pics of Delta the reader has seen are his selfies.  I think he favors Susan.  Just look at those sleek lines.  Readers?


And having mentioned spending 20 hours in the saddle last week, I looked for something a bit wider to spend today on.  I found it.  Not for quite 20 hours, but I gave it my best shot.


I know The Rig has shown up in the background of a couple of shots today, but I included this one as a way of showing that the City of Pittsburg has a nice little campground right on the route as riders enter town.  There are even showers and bathrooms for the self supported tourers.  We don't need them, but I know they're appreciated by those who schlep their tents, cooking gear, clothes, bike parts, water/food, etc. with them every day.  Susan and The Rig take care of all that for me.

Its been a good Rest Day - my legs always appreciate the break.  It gives my quads time to stop aching.  Tomorrow has us headed to Ash Grove, MO.  I think we've got a couple of days (maybe?) before we hit the line of demarcation between normal Missouri (if there is such a thing) and the Ozarks.  Pray for me.  I'm wearing spandex.

(Cue roses.)

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment