INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Saturday, August 10, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride - Part 2 Day 63 - Pittsburg, KS (+5 to Missouri State Line) to Ash Grove, MO

Saturday, August 10th, 2019

Ride Report: 65 Miles, 2,758 Total Miles, 16.2 Avg. mph, 2,411 Ft. Climbing, 5,433 Calories.  Today, readers, was the most difficult ride of the trip to date.  While things didn’t start out too badly, the humidity still came into play early.  But as we worked our way further into Missouri, the hills became more...prominent, and the temperatures combined with the humidity reached insane levels.  I tracked the weather in Pittsburgh, Golden City and Ash Grove as the ride progressed.  All were in heat advisories starting as early as 1100.  It seemed I couldn’t drink enough.  On a typical ride I go thru a bottle of water in about 20ish miles.  Toward the end of today’s ride I went thru two in fifteen miles and ran out just as I made it to The Rig..

But enough of this - it is what it is - and no amount of wishing it wasn't what it is will change what is to something that might be.  You can quote me on that.  (Call my support line for an explanation if necessary: 1-800-266-3873.  That's 1-800-CON-FUSE)  Today's version of what is follows in pics.

The morning started off humid - fog again in Pittsburg.  But we had to dump tanks in the RV and then get some propane so the fridge would keep running, then we needed to drive to the Missouri State line (recall that's where we stopped when last I rode before the Rest Day) in order to start the day.  The fog had lifted by then. This pic was taken before the real sweating started.  There was a lot of corn early in the day.  On one occasion I could smell the corn field a couple of hundred yards before I got to it.  It has that uniquely sweet "corny" smell.  If you've ever smelled it, ya know what I'm talking about.


FINALLY!  Every Trans-Am'er whose blog I've ever read has a picture of them saving a turtle.  Some keep a tally.  Mostly they're encountered in Kansas, at least on the blogs I've read. I've seen tons of these things on the roads of Kansas over the years.  But when I'm riding the T/A?  Nope.  Well, one showed up on the road today in Missouri.  The tradition is that the rider takes the turtle to whatever side of the road they're headed toward and sets them loose - thus saving the turtle from being squashed by, oh, something like The Rig.  Susan saw this one when she went past.  Fortunately she left him in one piece for me to save.  It was much more pleasant for both the turtle and I that way.


And not a quarter mile later, Delta saw this one - and of course wanted the honors.  So he picked the turtle up and to the far side of the road it went.  This one is just a baby.  Note that he's so small he is barely bigger than Delta's pedal.  So, our tally for the day is two.


We crossed another Inter-State Highway today.  This time I-49.  Let's see, KC or Joplin?  How about neither.  We continued East.


OK - apologies to Coronado fans out there, but the guy wandered around how long and failed to find even one of the fabled seven cities of gold?  I'm just 30 miles in to today's route and I'm already in the money.  How much more obvious could it be?  Hey Coronado - next time buy an ACA map.


The reader should note the green sign on the post to the right.  Missouri has done an excellent job of marking the T/A route thus far.  These signs are placed at every turn, wherever highway numbers change, on the way in to and out of the various towns thru which the route passes, etc.  I'm pretty sure I could have navigated the route today even without an ACA map.  Just follow the green bicycle route signs.  They even give a nod to history - the "76" represents the year the T/A was first traveled - in honor of the nations bi-centennial.  I have one of the original T/A route signs on the wall of my garage at home.  Found it in an antique store in Abilene several years ago and bought it then, thinking that I'd some day ride the route myself. 


It was a challenge drying my gear between breaks today.  It was too humid outside for the stuff to dry before I showed up at The Rig for my next break.  So Susan adapted yesterday's trick with the fan (sitting on the floor in this pic) so that it could dry my headgear and base layer at the same time.  I think it's just a riot that the fan blows up the head gear like a balloon.  She has it clothes pinned and taped to the fan.  Hey - it works.  Who am I to complain?


While the first third/half of today's route had lots of crop land, by the time we got past the half way point, Missouri was starting to look like I imagined it to be.  Translate that as, the hills got both bigger and more frequent.  T/A'ers describe Missouri as one continuous, self-propelled, roller coaster.  All I know is, I saw my first 12% hill in ages on today's route.  Listen, 12% in the mountains with temps in the 50s and humidity non-existent is an entirely different ball of wax than with humidity running over 80% and the heat index in the 100s.  I'll take the mountains any day.  This pic is Missouri as I imagined it.


This is that 12% hill once we got to the top.  Note how the road disappears and then re-appears as a tiny little smudge of grey in the distance.


And as today's sign that the Apocalypse is upon us, I proffer this pic.  This was the name of the local watering hole in Everton, MO.  Who does this stuff?  (Shakes head.)

And finally, "AccuWeather" predicts two more days of high temps and high humidity.  They're talkin' heat indexes as high as 110 in some locations along the route.  Normally, I'd be comfortable with that and ride in ski pants and a parka, knowing they're usually 180 degrees off base.  But on this occasion my pessimism outweighs "AccuWeather's" incompetence, and I suspect they'll finally get it right.  If I should fail to post over the next two days, call 911 and send out the search parties.  They should be looking for a shriveled, dehydrated, prune shaped body - wearing spandex - on the side of the road.  Please have them shoo the buzzards away, gather up what remains when they find me, and ship my carcass someplace cold for burial.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment