INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride - Part 2 Day 59 - Elbing, KS to Eureka, KS

Tuesday, August 6th, 2019

I know, I know - you all were afraid I'd forgotten you, ridden off into the morning sun, declared my freedom from the internet and would never post again.  Bah.  One of us needs the other too much for that to happen.  I just couldn't get my pictures to download in Eureka last night and had to wait till we got to Chanute this afternoon. So, climb back in from that ledge you were about to jump from and check out today's post.

Ride Report: 63 Miles, 2,567 Total Miles, 18.1 Avg. mph, 1,339 Ft. Climbing, 4,874 Calories.

And check out that average speed.  Over the course of today’s ride I had no wind for about a third of the ride, a headwind for about a third of the ride, and a tailwind for the remaining third.  In addition: note the climbing numbers - it was a hilly (well - for Kansas anyway) route today.  First time in a long while that number has been over 1k.  As a result of these various factors, I’m gonna declare the 18.1 average speed to be bordering on impressive - at least for me.

Oh - and Garmin’s recorded high temperature for the ride was 102 degrees.  Ouch.

Oh Part II - very humid again.  I had two jerseys and two base layers ready for the day.  When I came in for breaks I’d strip them off and Susan hung them on the trailer to dry.  Before I left, the “other” set went on and I was at least dry to start the various segments of the ride today.  With it being this hot and humid, she saved my bacon - all day today.  But before we get on with the day, I have this from last night...

This is a screen shot from "AccuWeather" when I searched for Eureka, KS last night.  The reader might note that rather than Eureka, KS I got "Kinaliada, Istanbul".  Presumably the people in Kinaliada were equally as curious as to the weather in Eureka, KS.  So there ya have it, screenshot proof of what I've been complaining about.  At least I knew to take a rain jacket if I decided to head off to Kinaliada.


As to the weather this morning - more of the same.  Check out the haze in the air in this pic.  Sig and I knew what this meant for the rest of the day - hot and sweaty all day again.


But we were kinda in our home territory, so to speak.  Today's route took us thru the southern portion of the Flint Hills.  Manhattan lies pretty much in the heart of the Flint Hills, and being on the southern edge of them today the hills weren't quite as dramatic.  But there was this...

I know enough about this to recognize Big Bluestem grass when I see it.  The two large clumps of grass in the front are it.  The Flint Hills are famous for this grass because...


...it attracts these like flies to roadkill.  (Gee - wonder how I came up with that?)  Today was cow Tuesday.  The first 30 miles or so were all County roads and pretty much all pasture.  Other than Montana, I don't know that I've ever seen so many pastures full of cows.  I'm given to understand that many of these cows are from out of state (typically Texas and the Southwest in general) and are sent here to pasture over the summer.


Which meant, of course, that I was passed by a ton of these guys today.  (Taken while riding - don't attempt this at home.)  I have two observations about cattle trucks.  1: They seem to take up more of the road than other types of tractor/trailer combinations - with the exception of wind turbine parts.  2: They disturb more air than any other tractor/trailer combination I've met since starting the ride.  Under the right (OK - the wrong) circumstances, they can knock 3-4 mph off your speed when they pass.  3: They're smellier than any other tractor/trailer combination.  4:  For obvious reasons, I'm glad it wasn't a wet/rainy day today.  OK - I guess that's four observations, but you get the drift.


These must be some of those out of state cows.  They all brought their swimming suits and headed for the beach.  The red and tan ones invited me to join 'em, but I could tell that the black angus weren't as receptive.  When I asked, one of the red ones told me that some of the angus were jealous that my butt looked better in black than theirs.  Angus can be so petty.  I moved on...


And shortly before getting to Cassoday, KS, we crossed over I-35.  Its been a while since we've been on one of these.  Can't say that we miss it.


And shortly we were in Cassoday, KS.  According to the sign at the city limit, "Population about 100 - more or less."  I'm gonna go with less.  But importantly, when one heads South out of Cassoday, one exits the Flint Hills, as the sign indicates.


Rosalia, KS was next up on the hit parade and I was glad to get there.  It was getting hot and I was soaked.  I knew I needed some time to cool down, and Susan had arranged to meet me at the school parking lot there.  She took this action shot as I pulled in.  The reader will note my "hot face", and the glistening sheen on my arms.  I hear that in the cosmetics industry such a sheen is desirable in certain cases.  Well - no need to go to Wally World and buy those expensive (small) containers of sheeny stuff - just ride a bike 30 miles in the Kansas summer heat.  (Used by permission of Susan Schoen Photography, LLC.)


I was glad for Susan, The Rig, air conditioning, and my Oreos when I got there.  (Yes - in that order.  Stop it!)  I've heard from many readers (OK - maybe two or three) that Double Stuff Oreos are the cat's meow.  I was dubious, thinking it bordering on hedonistic to put all that sugar in one cookie.  The double "stuff" might obscure the taste of the chocolate cookies on either side.  So I decided to play it safe and combine a double stuff Oreo with a normal Oreo thinking that if the double stuff was over the top, the normal Oreo would make it taste better - like it does with everything else.  It worked - tasted pretty good to me.  I may have to do my part to rid the world of double stuff Oreos using this method.


Did I mention the air conditioning?  There was also a fan.  It was kinda like a cool tropical breeze.


And playing her part as cabana girl, Susan woke me from my nap and brought me ice cream with fresh blueberries.  She calls this her, "You're gonna eat ice cream at 1000 in the morning?" look.  (The reader should note the clock on the wall.)  I was just sittin' there minding my own business when she accosted me with this stuff.  Hey - I didn't say hedonism doesn't have an up side, I just don't prefer it in my Oreos.


And after my ice cream snack, it was back to the road again.  But being out of the Flint Hills now, we started seeing more row crops.  These are soybeans.  Note the elevator leg in the background just above the trees.

From here on it was a slight downhill to Eureka with the previously mentioned tailwind.  Can't ask for a better combination than that.  It was just too fun to stop for pics.  Great way to end the day.

Till next time.


















No comments:

Post a Comment