INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Thursday, October 3, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride - Part 3 Day 25 - Butler, OH to Greenfield, IN

Thursday, October 3rd, 2019

Drive Report: 225 Miles / 3:39 (But this is a lie.) This because it took a LOT longer than 3:39 to get to Greenfield.  In the main, because at 0350 this morning (while we were still snug and comfy in bed) some unknown woman in Columbus, OH had the great misfortune to wander thru both ditches of the NB lanes of I-270 and then strike two electrical poles 78 feet from the highway.  The decedent’s car broke both utility poles and caused the power lines to sag over I-270.  This occasioned the closure of the road to repair said damage.  (According to local news outlets.)  And this, in turn, is what sent us and everyone else on both NB and SB I-71 scrambling for a route thru town to avoid the closed Interstate - hence the oodles of extra time on the road today.  As I type this it is 1645.  So - we lost somewhere between 1.5 to 2 hours getting thru Columbus.  While unfortunate, not nearly so much so as the decedent.

But, both before and after this unfortunate happenstance, we encountered plenty to talk about as well as some pics.  But first - some more talking.  Have I discussed highways lately?  No.  Because the states we’ve been in recently - namely Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire actually maintained theirs.  Such has not proven to be the case in Ohio (moderately well maintained in places - terrible in others) and Indiana (where we have only just arrived.)  Sections of I-70 in Indiana remind me of a Walmart parking lot that was in need of maintenance when given over to some place like Hobby Lobby for further neglect after Walmart moved out.  It was horrible.  Change was popping up out of the change holder in the dash, the AC cover fell from the ceiling, things plugged in fell from their receptacle, and there was the repeated Metallic BANG that only people who drive RV’s know.  But at least Indiana was kind enough to raise the speed limit to 70 mph on this long, straight stretch of neglected parking lot.  The tractor trailers appreciated it as they formed up in a line astern to pass us.  It was like the battle of Surigao Straight all over again - and we were on the receiving end.  Google it - the last time the ”T” was crossed in a naval engagement. (Well - OK - it wasn’t really that bad.  But it wasn’t fun either.)

OK - now that I’ve vented my spleen about the road conditions today, there were some highlights.  Some interesting scenery, a new state logged in the RV, probably the coolest barn of the entire trip...that sorta stuff.  Here’s what it looked like...

Right before we left the RV park this morning there had been a dense fog advisory, it had clearly lifted by the time we got out.  But the morning was beautiful and the pavement was (blessedly) good.  A rarity here, but as the reader can tell, this stretch was just repaved.  We had about 30 miles to get back to SB I-71.  Trust me when I say that it didn't look like this the whole way. 


Well, the scenery did, just not the road.  There were some quite sharp hills first thing this morning.  When I'm goin' over a hill top and slow down at the crest because the road still isn't visible in front of me, it's steep.  This was one of those.


Like I said, the scenery was pretty nice.


There were also some curves.  It reminded me of when, in Kansas, engineers build roads that generally follow a creek.  But they don't put 'em right beside the creek.  Instead, they put 'em on the sides of the hills close to the creek and then bend the road around as the hills bend with the creek.  Except here, there wasn't a creek, they were just following the contours of the hills in order to limit, as best as possible, going up and down all the time.  This is the result.


OK - best dang barn of the trip.  While it needed paint (a strike against it), it was HUGE, still solid, it had not one but two cupolas on top, then there's that overhang at the bottom - way cool.  Even money says that on the side away from the road there was a ramp leading to an upper floor hay loft to save work.  I'd have loved to get inside for a look see.


With this shot from the side, I'm betting that the overhang permits wagons to drive under and then hay can be thrown down from the loft onto the wagons below.


This barn isn't nearly as impressive, but it was immaculately maintained, as were the rest of the buildings.  We heard from the RV Park proprietor last night that there are a number of Amish in the area.  Hmmm - wonder if that has anything to do with the barns and their condition?


HEY - look at that!  We haven't driven on I-70 since turning off it onto K-156 West of Salina, KS on the first day of our trip.  It's true Toto - we're on our way home.

Disclaimer:  All pictures thus far in the post were taken by and used with permission of Susan Schoen Photography, LLC.  (I was driving.)


When Susan took over, I snagged this one.  Neither of us had any idea what this building was, but it made clear that we were still in Ohio.


As for myself, I had no doubt, since the good folks of Ohio had not yet bid us adieu.  (I picked up some French hanging out at Lake Champlain - only 27 miles from Quebec.)  I thought this (see pic) odd though.  Upon entering the state we were visited with the typical "Welcome to..." sign.  But when we leave?  Katie bar the door, we're gonna bend a tapered I-beam and stretch it over the highway - the better from which to hang our sign.


And as expected, we were soon in Indiana.  The crossroads of America - not sure how that works when the geographic center of the CONUS is in Kansas.  But anyway, they also harbored Lincoln during his formative years and lay claim to Benjamin Harrison.  And all this on one colorful sign.  Well then.  I suppose one had not ought to ask, "What have you done for me lately?"


We were pulling into the RV Park for the night when what to my wondering eyes do appear, but a huge field of beans to horizon and near.  Seriously, the farther South we went in Indiana, the more of this there was to see - and the more familiar it all became.  (To the tune of???)  It's beginning to look a lot like Kansas, every where I go, take a look at the beans again, note the clouds they are very thin, straight rows for when combines come agaaaaiiin...

C'mon - c'mon now - that's the definition of hilarious.  Besides, Walmart has Christmas stuff out already.  I'm just trying my best to stay relevant.

Till next time.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, in fact, I do mean Greenfield, IN. Thanks. I’ll correct the heading.

    ReplyDelete