INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Thursday, September 5, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride - Part 2 Day 89 - White Hall, VA to Tabscott, VA

Thursday, September 5th, 2019

Ride Report: 53 Miles, 4,076 Total Miles, 15.4 Avg. mph, 3,150 Ft. Climbing, 4,441 Calories.

As the reader can see, still plenty of climbing today.  But in a bit of an improvement here at The Thin Blue Ride, it wasn't kick your butt climbing.  Just a lot of "small" hills.  And as expected, the grades are easing.  The steepest grade I saw today was 11% - on two occasions.  And both for very short distances - 6-8% was far more typical.  Those are like - kindergarten climbs.  As I was climbing one of those kindergarten hills today I actually told the hill, "Ha - I laugh at you." and spit down beside my shoe on it.  There was no response from the hill.  Typical.  They're bullies when they get bigger, but the little ones ya can still intimidate.  They are decidedly unlike Kentucky dogs - all of whom are bullies - from yappers to the larger breeds.

The wind however, made its first appearance in quite some time.  Maybe as far back as Kansas?  I can't recall for certain.  Anyway, it got a bit breezy today, probably due to Dorian coming up the coast.  Many times there were enough trees around to block the wind, but when the trees disappeared, the wind showed up.  Since we're now getting into more open countryside, the wind had plenty of shots at me today.  And it was either a straight on headwind or a quartering headwind at best.  Naturally, the last ten miles were the worst.

And speaking of wind and weather...  We're still keeping an eye on Dorian.  As of now it looks like our ride into Ashland tomorrow risks a 51%  chance of .02 inches of rain at 0800 hours and again at 1500 hours.  This according to "AccuWeather".  The last time "AccuWeather" gave me odds that good, I shoulda built an ark.  So, the plan is to ride tomorrow, be prepared for rain delays, make it 58 miles to Ashland, and lay over there a day if Dorian causes so much havoc around Yorktown that we need to let things clear up a bit.  Let the reader not forget that the terrain around the Chesapeake Bay is rather flat.  Right now the forecast calls for 2-4 inches of rain there.  I've no idea how long it takes for that much rain to drain away - that's my biggest concern right now.  We'll just have to see how it all shapes up.

Speaking of which, today shaped up quite nicely and it went like this...


First thing this morning we met this guy in the parking lot of the small grocery store where I started the day in White Hall, VA.  Susan and I both think his name is Alan, but each of us thought the other was gonna write it down.  So "Alan" - if we got it wrong, forgive us and please post a reply correcting us.  Anyway, he formerly worked at UVa which is in nearby Charlottesville.  He was a good  guy and also gave me some tips on what sort of traffic to expect getting thru town.  And he advised Susan on the route to take with The Rig, since she wasn't gonna follow me thru downtown Charlottesville.  He also knew my jersey was a K-State jersey and asked me if I knew Ron Prince!  For those who don't follow such things, Mr. Prince coached at UVa before coming to K-State.


Speaking of UVa, I think this is the main "entrance".  Hmmm... kinda looks like Jeffersons' place over at Monticello, past which the T/A route will take me shortly after leaving Charlottesville.  I decided to show some KSU pride while in town.  It worked out - neither insults nor physical objects were hurled my direction.  But I must say, students at UVa are as oblivious to traffic as they are in Manhattan.  On more than one occasion I watched them walk right in front of cars going down the street at 20-30 mph without even a glance sideways to see if a car was coming.  I've heard that the human brain isn't fully developed until one reaches their mid 20s.  College students here and in Manhattan are good evidence of that - at least as far as traffic is concerned.


University Drive, running past UVa.  I followed the van ahead of me in this pic for probably a mile or more, catching up at every light.


Lewis and Clark!  I haven't seen these two hoodlums for a while.  They're like a bad cold, I just can't shake 'em.  Who knew they discovered Charlottesville?


Highway 53 after leaving Charlottesville.  One of the steeper and more lengthy climbs of the day.  It also ran right past the entrance to Monticello.  Another of those places we need to come back to.  We'll add it to the list.  


We got a later start today than anticipated, so our second break of the day was gonna be lunch in the parking lot of the Woodridge Market in Woodridge, VA.  Instead, this is Susan paying for my cheeseburger, diced watermelon, and chocolate cake.  The reader should note the sign over Susan's head.  It reads, "ATTENTION  ATTENTION Everyone must pay before leaving the store.  Thank You."  Right after I read the sign a young man walked in and grabbed a Mountain Dew, walked to the front door, and waved the Dew at one of the proprietors, who responded, "I gotcha Boob."  "Boob" apparently being the young man's nickname.  I remember stores like this from my younger days.  One can purchase everything from a meal, to Alpo, to Night Crawlers - stored in a separate refrigerator, of course.  The burger was great, the watermelon disappeared in short order, and the chocolate cake followed suit.  


Right after I left, this guy turned off my route just before I hit the road.  We just started seeing logging trucks again over the last couple of days.  They seem to be of a kinder, gentler variety than those encountered in the mountains of the Northwest.


Ah yes - one can never get away from old machinery in rural areas.  The farmers here are like those across the country, old machinery is valued as yard art.  So it's official, old machinery as yard art is a phenomenon from coast to coast.


Shortly, I ran across this place.  According to the sign, a fully restored Victorian house.  Way cool...


...and also for sale.  If you're interested, the number is right there.  Just give the agent my name so I can be sure to get my commission.  Gotta pay for the trip somehow.

And as an added bonus, this cemetery is nearby.  These things dot the Virginia countryside.  Just think of the convenience; buy the house and when your time comes its just a hop skip and a jump (Well, not for you, but for everybody else.) to the cemetery.  This is why I'm so good at sales.

So - we made it to Tabscott, even if a bit later than planned due to our late start.  It was an uneventful day - which is always good, and we'll hit the road early again tomorrow.  This pattern will persist for three more days, then we may hit the road late for the rest of the trip so I can catch up on my beauty rest.

Till next time.














No comments:

Post a Comment