INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Wednesday, July 3, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride - Part 2 Day 23 - Twin Bridges, MT to BLM Campground 16 Miles S of Cameron, MT


Ride Report: 71 Miles, 1,255 Total Miles, 15.9 Avg. mph, 3,392 Ft. Climbing, 5,525 Calories, 13 Unlucky Prairie Dogs.  Most of the ride report is self-explanatory.  I shall avoid offending the reader’s sensibilities by not posting pics, but suffice it to say that when prairie dogs are struck by fast moving vehicles, they pretty much explode.  The magpies seem to appreciate it tho.  The things one notices at 15 mph, eh?  At least it’s colorful…

There – see?  No sensibilities offended.  Just trying to do my part.

Oh – and BLM is an acronym for the Federal Government’s Bureau of Land Management.  The Feds own much of the mountain west and it is managed chiefly by BLM and the Ag. Department’s Forest Service crew.  Just so ya know…

One final thing about the ride report.  Interestingly, although there was a good bit of climbing today only a little over 1k of it came by virtue of a “mountain” pass.  The rest was garnered by one of those slow uphill grinds that lasted all day at between 1-3%.  I think I’ve said it before – those days wear on a guy.

But as always, it was an interesting day.  Saw some great sights, met some interesting people, cried (If that doesn’t make ya read on I don’t know what will.)  And the observant and astute reader will note something different about today’s pics which will be revealed to the more mundane of you at the end of the post.  Buckle up kids, here we go…


OK – this was just too gorgeous to pass up.  I mean really, the frequency of scenes like this while on The Thin Blue Ride sometimes takes my breath away.


These two are Arnold and Margareet.  They’re riding the T/A East to West and are from the Netherlands.  I ran into them as I was leaving Sheridan, MT and they were pulling in.  They had 90 days from the time they set foot in the country to get it all done – tourist visa limits, doncha know.  I asked about Kansas – my home state.  They say it’s still there and that one can certainly see a long ways there.  Hmmm, never noticed.  I’ll have to check it out when I get there.  They also happened to be in Colorado during that last big snow storm.  Arnold said they were fortunate as they only got about 5 cm, where they were.  Hey – don’t get after me about it, he’s from Europe where the metric system is apparently all the rage.


 
Sig and I looked at this scene for a long time today.  Just amazing.


The rock behind me is from gold dredging operations between the mid 1850s and the early 1920s.  At the time there was little concern for environmental issues, and as a result, this stuff was piled beside the road all the way from Sheridan to Virginia City.  Not inherently dangerous, just unsightly – and it was everywhere.  According to the historical marker I read they had huge floating dredges that moved down the creek as they went by creating their own ponds in which to float.  They basically dredged out a pond ahead of them as they moved downstream.  The tailings were just dumped to the side of the dredge.  The creek still flows there, but its continuity is destroyed.


The entire City of Virginia City is apparently on the national register of historic districts.  This according to the sign outside town. The team of horses and stagecoach are in keeping with that theme.  Plus, tourists like me love ‘em.  I was afraid they were gonna try to charge me for taking a pic.


The reader will not that Virginia City has been resisting change since ????.  Apparently with much success.  See above pic...


This is George.  He hails from New York City by way of Hong Kong.  He was waiting for a friend to descend from the only climb (for me) of the day in order to head on down the road.  Turns out that he knew Arnold and Margareet who I had met earlier in Sheridan.  According to George they’ve been riding together for over a month.  This may require some explanation and is a curious function of the T/A.  People come to know each other and may or may not ride together all the time.  But if they move at the same approximate pace and for the same distance each day, they tend to run into each other frequently.  Sometimes one group is a day or two ahead, sometimes behind (depending on rest days and “tourist” days) but they still say that they’re riding together.


This is me at the top of “Un-named Pass”.  At least that’s what the ACA map calls it.  Note the grassy mountain top behind me.  All fake, it’s sagebrush.  The frequent reader may also note the recently (and stylishly) trimmed beard.  Susan claims I miss a bunch that “stand out”.  I try to explain that beards aren’t like normal hair.  An explanation which is lost on her.



Susan and me at the top of Un-named pass.  There.  Now it has a name.  Those reader who recall my mention of changing out “headsweats” and wondered what I was talking about can now see one in action.  I’m wearing it.  On my head.  The reader can infer its utility.  Maybe they could call it “baldguysheadwon’tsunburnthruhelmetvents”.


Always good to see one of these.   Another 40+ mph descent.   Oh – and I had my first experience with a “Tar Snake” today.  Sam (of Paul and Sam fame) told me about these and described the feeling of having your tires slip sideways if ya hit one while cornering.  They’re tar strips that seal cracks in the pavement.  The worst ones being those that run parallel to the road – for obvious reasons.  They’re disconcerting to say the least, and to be avoided.  I made it a point of doing so the rest of the way down the mountain.  We obviously have ‘em in Kansas, but lacking mountains which generate a good bit of speed for a rider, their significance to riders is minimal.


And then there was this.  Madison Valley as seen from a pull-out on the descent.  Susan and I had arranged ahead of time to meet there for lunch, having no idea how beautiful the view would be.  As it happens, once we made it to the town of Ennis (In the valley) we turned right and rode up the valley along the Madison River for the rest of the day.


I’m soaking in the view.  Susan asked for my phone and took this pic.  After she left, and as I sat there, I cried.  Looking at scenery like this, can there be any doubt that we are created beings living in a world created to display its maker’s might?  Words are insufficient to describe the view so I won’t even try.  PS - and I'm not typically a cryer.


As I said, Susan and I had arranged lunch at this pull-out.  I decided to do a scientific experiment.  Recall the Oreo with avocado pic from a few day’s past.  This is where the rubber meets the road.  As it turns out, the combination of Oreo with peanut butter was also quite tasty.  Given that Oreos were the common denominator in these two taste testing experiments, one is left to assume that it’s the Oreo that does the trick.  Not the topping.  More experiments may follow to confirm my findings.  And just to give credit where credit is due, it was Kelsy and Parker who set me down this path.


Fortunately, we finished lunch, and were about 5 miles South of Ennis by the time the pass was shrouded in rain.  From all appearances as we continued South, it persisted for much of the rest of the afternoon.


It’s just unreal.  One never tires of these views.  However, I think we have some climbing to do tomorrow to make it up to West Yellowstone, MT, and I suspect these mountains will play their part.


This is Susan and me in front of the Madison River.  It runs right past the back of The Rig and will provide welcome “white noise” for sleeping.  Plus, like many geographical features here, its just plain easy on the eyes.


This is home for the night at the BLM campground.  Quite the view out the back window.  (The Author Smiles)


And this is the view out the front.  (Smile gets bigger.)


And for you purists, this is a pic of just plain old mountains – The Rig isn’t in the way.  I can’t think of a better way to end this post.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment