INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Monday, July 1, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride - Part 2 Day 22 - Twin Bridges, MT (Rest Day)

Ride Report:  50 Miles, No change in total miles, 68 Avg. mph, 0 calories.  We took the scooter to Whitehall, MT about 25 miles North of Twin Bridges just because we could.  We wanted to see some country other than what we see when on the ride.  It was a nice trip. Then we turned around and came back.

This is what Rest Days are for.  But the Rest Day turned out to be a rest afternoon.  The morning was filled with the typical stuff.  Me washing bikes - all three - and the scooter.  Susan cleaning up the interior of the RV.  Me losing the quick link for Delta’s chain.  (A contrivance that permits one to separate the chain and take it off the bike for cleaning and then put the chain back on.  If you lose it, you can’t remount the chain.)  Susan came over and started digging thru the grass where I thought it went.  No luck.  But the next thing we knew a lady, Peggy, who had pulled into the bike camp area where we’re located started helping Susan look for it.  She even went back to get her knitting magnet to see if we could dredge it up that way.  No luck.  Then a local lady stopped by and helped.  Turns out she was the President of the local Chamber of Commerce.  No luck.  But we availed ourselves of the opportunity to thank her for the excellent facilities here.  Finally Susan found the link lying next to the fence that surrounds the bike cleaning area.  Great.  Now I can ride Delta.  This could have been particularly problematic since Keith will be riding Sig when he and Kerrie come to visit and I’ll be on Delta.  Did I mention that the only bike shop within reach was closed today.  The next closest was West Yellowstone.  Glad she found it.

The reader may also note that we went 7 days before a rest day this time.  I was really ready for today.  Sixty miles a day just takes it outta ya.  Anyway - this is what our digs look like on Rest Day #3...


This is where we set up last night and also where we spent the day today.  I gotta say, what with Twin Bridges being at 4,626 ft. elevation, the sun is starting to become more of a consideration.  Particularly so since I spent the morning out washing every thing we have with us which has two wheels.  I'm not big on sunscreen, despite Susan's best efforts to dip me bodily in a vat of it every morning when I head out.  But the back of my neck is talking to me as I type this.  It seems that I may listen to the back of my neck better than I do Susan.  I shall leave it to the reader to decide whether this is a result of the persuasive nature of my neck or me choosing to ignore good advice.


This is the view we have of the river from the back window of the RV.  We don't know for certain what the red buildings are, but there are a number of them.  They look abandoned, institutions, (we're thinking a school) and are for sale.  They also have water front access to an excellent fishing river.  We know this because a local guide service uses the park we're in to a launch guided fishing tours.


Susan and me along the same river.  Go RCPD...


If one were to stand behind The Rig and look forward, one would observe this small brick building.  It's why they call this area a "biker's camp".  The city of Twin Bridges installed it several years ago.  It contains a restroom, shower room and behind the white door in the pic, what amounts to a lounge with sofas, love seats, etc.  Even had electrical outlets for recharging phones and bike computers.  While not a concern for me what with the RV and all, self-supported tourers frequently don't know for certain where their next meal or shower will come from.  This facility is greatly appreciated.  The tents you see beside the building belong to Paul and Sam, our friends of going on two days now.  They were up and gone before we got out of bed today.  It wasn't a rest day for them.  Oh - and note the nifty bike wind speed contrivance on the roof.  They mounted fan blades in the wheels to give riders an idea of the wind speed.  Very original. 


This is the bike maintenance area just to the right of the pic above.  I used the yellow stand in this pic to clean up all three of our bikes.  Running water and a picnic table to hold the requisite bike cleaning junk.  Very nice.  Tho I neglected to get an action shot of me cleaning a bike (disappointing, I know) the wet concrete is evidence of my hard work and diligence.

So, as I mentioned earlier, we hopped on the scooter after lunch and headed up to Whitehall, a small town about a mile from I-90.  On the way there we noticed these in Silver Star.  They're HUGE!  We proceeded to investigate..
.
Turns out that they're (see below)...


Drive compressor wheels used back when underground mining was a big deal int his area.  When the mines shut down a local guy saved em from being scrapped and this is where they ended up.  The diagram and verbiage on the sign is kinda interesting.  Blow up the pic and check it out.


And this was right across the street.  A house with a river rock facade with snow capped mountains for a backdrop.  Only in Montana.

We're gonna slow down now.  Make some supper, put away a few things, plan for tomorrow's ride and the day after.  It's hard to believe that we're only two days ride from Yellowstone.  Frankly, Susan and I have both talked with a number of people who have been there recently and I hope we're not disappointed.  Riders in particular don't speak well of Yellowstone.  They liken the drivers there to aggressive, big city types.  Wonderful.  Something to look forward to.  We shall see what we shall see.

Till next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment