INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

TEXAS TEST FLIGHT - DAY 19

Ride report: None as this was a planned travel day.  200 miles in the RV tho.

 We had considered dumping me out about 20-30 miles from Breckenridge (who knew Texas had one too?) and letting me catch Susan when she stopped for the day.  Turns out that doing so would have been a terrible decision as most of the last 10-15 miles of US 183 was under serious construction.  It looks like maybe they were widening the shoulders to 8 ft. or so from the standard 18 inches.  Anyway, it made a mess and would have forced me into traffic as there was no where else to ride.

We were up and around (relatively) early to dump tanks, unplug and pull out of the Fredericksburg RV Park.  I know we were up early because all of the long term residents (most of whom are considerably older than Susan and I) were already out walking their dogs, themselves or their spouses.  You can tell the difference, BTW.  I'm relatively certain that after having had my own knee replaced I can tell the difference between a bad hip limp and a bad knee limp.  I even saw one lady walking her grey muzzled, limping dog - but I digress...

Anyway, we were delayed a bit because two separate gentlemen came up and asked me about the swivel-wheel trailer we use to transport the scooter and two of the bikes.  So, there went 20 minutes of my life I’ll never get back.  I have, however, developed a standardized response to queries concerning the trailer.  (I always leave out the part about the death by fiery crash that my less than optimistic brother-in-law is convinced will result from its use.)  I'll have to contact swivel-wheel about working on commission if this keeps up.  The reader may recall that the “trailer” was discussed in detail in one of my pre Texas Test Flight blogs.  Apparently its all the rage in the RV parks.  Hey - ya do what ya gotta do to be popular...  It was either talk about the trailer or start walking with a limp.

The drive from Fredericksburg was pretty.  We were still in Hill Country for prolly the first 1/2 or 2/3 of the trip, but the terrain was definitely flattening out.  By the time we made it to Breckenridge, we were unquestionably NOT in Hill Country any longer.  For their part, the flowers are still present and put in a good effort, but thinned considerably as we moved further North.  I happened to be driving during the early portion of the trip so Susan took some pics which she later sent to me and they represent most of the pics from today’s trip.  So, on with Susan’s pics...

Though they are a bit distant from the road these white flowers are White Prickly Poppies.  They're not as abundant as some of the other wild flowers, but we saw the largest bunches of them on today's trip.


More Bluebonnets - yawn.


Not the major road construction I mentioned earlier, but I'm pretty sure this is a highway worker.  Either that or he's out to rob motorists.  "Honest Officer, the guy was wearing a neon yellow mask."


Bluebonnets, Indian Paint Brushes and white Prickly Poppies.  One of the few locations where all three were present.


This is just kinda a neat granite outcropping.  Interesting country around here.  One can move from limestone (sedimentary) rock to granite (igneous) rock in the space of just a few miles.  And do so repeatedly.  It'd probably be more interesting were I geologist and able to go into detail concerning the rock strata of central Texas, don't you think?  Count your blessings I'm not a geologist.


Another big bunch of Prickly Poppies.  They stand much taller than the other wild flowers.


We were all set to boondock (if you can call it that) in the Wal-Mart parking lot here in Breckenridge - where the temperature is a balmy 90 degrees as I type this missive.  But that would have meant using our generator to power the AC tonight.  I'm OK with that, but when we called the Buffalo RV park and they only wanted $20 for the night with full hookups - SOLD!  When I inquired about paying I got this answer, "Just stop by the laundry room, fill out a card and leave it with $20 in the box.  We'll get it later.  And if you need anything just call me back."  Good thing I'm the one who called, she clearly recognized that I'm trustworthy.  We even got a spot by the water.  (OK, its just a retention pond, but it looks like water to me.)

Author's note:  Compliments/complaints concerning today's pics should be posted to Susan on the blog.  Be nice tho, she's under the weather today with congestion, a runny nose, etc.  I feel bad since I think I gave it to her.  Here's hoping it only last for the three days mine lasted.  She's on day two now.

Till next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment