INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

TEXAS TEST FLIGHT - DAY 6

Ride report: 58.0 miles; 199.7 total miles; 16.3 mph avg; 4717 calories; 3084 ft climbing.  As you can see by that last figure, there were some hills today.  This is good as this is why I wanted to come here.  I figure all the hills will be good for me when it comes time for the Trans-Am in June. 

While the wildflowers weren't quite as abundant today, they were still around - and I got a couple of pics of the better "bunches".


I also went thru Gruene, TX today - a great little town with a historic downtown.  I stopped briefly to get some water from what was, by all appearances, an old mercantile store pretty much set up as one - with some modern conveniences as well.  There were antique shops, all that sort of stuff.  And it really was quite scenic.  It's apparently also on the Texas Historical Commission's list.  At least this time everyone didn't pick up and move like the last marker I took a photo of...


Curiously, I've determined that Texans are also a religious lot.  Ya can't swing a dead cat (apologies to cat lovers) without hitting a Southern Baptist church in these parts.  Nothing wrong with that, I'm a believer myself.  Its just that in Kansas we don't put up signs.  I'm trying to figure out whether Texans are advertising or trying to warn those not so inclined.  I may report further on this matter in the future.


There were also some beautiful homes on the route I took today.  This one, for example.  I'm pretty sure its new construction, but it certainly looks like a turn of the century (or earlier) native stone house.  I love the gnarly tree off to the right side.  It looks to me like what we call a burr oak in Kansas but I could be way off base.  Not enough leaves yet to make an accurate assessment.


Delta and I did encounter one other curious sign.  Being new to the world, he is (of course) still learning.  He expressed surprise that people would ride something snarky that eats money and poops attitude.  I remained silent, but it certainly reminded me a lot of a certain snarky, carbon fiber steed I know.  I shall say no more just in case Delta learns to read.


We also came across a particularly scenic spot.  People here know where to build a house - right along the edge of a bluff with a great view.  And yes - the road drops away just past the guard rail.  It was a blast.  Unfortunately I've ridden enough that on the way down I was already anticipating paying the piper to get up out of that hole.  And a hole it was.  I think coming up out of there was the steepest grade I saw today.  10.3% according to Garmin.


And a close up, just in case...



And as we were within maybe 8 miles of the finish line we suddenly encountered a TON of big houses, fresh asphalt, and no cars.  Biker paradise.  Apparently people with a LOT of money can afford really good roads for no one to drive on.  There was even this...


The guy in the picture had about a billion balls on the chipping green and as I went past he was hitting them all off the green to do it all over again.  Hmmm, costs a lot of money, great exercise (if ya walk) and no snarky companion.   Hmmm...

And finally, Susan's foray to RV Land was a not inexpensive proposition.  But for the piddling sum of around $900 we now have warm water and a dry storage bin under the RV.  Turns out that the heater had rusted out around the cold water inlet.  Susan reports that the folks at RV Land were all very pleasant and easy to work with.  I would be too for $900.  I might even let ya call me names for that much, but that's just me.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment