INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Monday, March 25, 2019

TEXAS TEST FLIGHT - DAY 4

Ride summary: 60.1 miles; 87.5 total miles; 17.3 mph avg; 4537 calories; 1834 ft climbing

Today started out on the dreary side with a steady drizzle from the time I left Cedar Creek, TX.  I've ridden in some pretty heavy rain previously, but in keeping with the theory that I'm trying to mimic how I'd handle it on the Trans-Am, I elected to pull into a small (and I mean small) combination grocery store/gas station just outside Rockne, TX.  The people there were very nice and let me store my helmet and other accoutrements of the trade behind their counter while I waited out the rain.  A local gentleman hit me up about the rain messing with my ride and when I told him that I was here to see the flowers he went on about how his mama's hillside was covered with em this year.  I got a PHD level dissertation from a guy buying tomatoes at the grocery store concerning the vagaries of the wildflower season and why this year was a good one.  This was helpful, as the view from the front door of the store in the rain was depressing. The reader should note the two garbage trucks at the gas pump in the first photo and the "poop sucker" (also known as a septic cleaning truck) in the second.


However, things improved rapidly - and in short order.  When I went to pull out of the parking lot there was a bloom of wildflowers just around the corner from the store...


There were any number of wildflower blooms alongside the road today.  All of them worthy of pics, but I only stopped a few times.  Check out the samples below.  Sorry about the first one, Delta had to horn in on the act...




I believe I mentioned Rockne, TX earlier.  This historical marker was in the center of town.  It basically says that Rockne is a Catholic community and has been re-named several times.  Typically when a new bigwig shows up and opens a general store, donates land to build a new church after the first was burned down by an arsonist (seriously), or some other significant event in the life of a small, newly founded town.  Catholics apparently being an indecisive lot, they eventually let the school children from Sacred Heart School re-name it for the final time in 1931.  They chose to name it after legendary Notre Dame (where else?) football coach Knute Rockne, who had been killed in a plane crash.  I suspect the adults may have primed the pump.  All the schools I know that are named by kids are Dolphins, Mustangs, Eagles, or some other nondescript and politically inoffensive mascot.  Not dead football coaches.  Ever heard of Bear Bryant City or Switzerville?  Exactly.  Anyway - all this indecision warranted a historical marker.  And right next to the Catholic church...


I also stumbled across this gem.  Apparently the good people of Hopkinsville packed up lock stock and barrel in  1873 to move 5 miles South and found the town of Waelder.  This because the railroad had built a line there.  Texans appear to be curious mix of both fickle and indecisive, with wayward tendencies.




Oh - on the road into Shiner, Delta insisted on taking his picture with this plant.  Anyone know what its called?  I told him I'd ask.  Looks like a giant yucca plant.  This thing is prolly 6-7 feet tall.  The first person that says, "It's just a yucca plant, everything's bigger in Texas." will be fined by the internet.


Oh yes, he also insisted on vamping for this pic...


And since I'm in Texas and have the habit of occasionally discussing road conditions; after riding Peach Tree Road (who wouldn't - sounds glorious - no?) I not so reluctantly concluded that the Texas DOT (whatever they're called down here) employ the most sadistic people on the planet.  Far from glorious, Peach Tree Road (and its corollary Farm to Market Road 1296 - no, I'm not kidding about the name) were jointly the worst section of road I've ever had the misadventure to travel by bike.  Start with chip seal using rocks the size of marbles, throw in some ruts, the occasional sinkhole 4 feet deep (nope, not kidding - again), and pavement cracks that could eat the front wheel of my bike, and you get the picture.  Fortunately, I was able to get cell reception at the top of a hill and called Susan to warn her off traveling this route.

In the middle of this mess and just  as I was wondering what sadistic bastard had done this to me, came a stretch of new asphalt just North of Waelder.  Finally - FINALLY someone turned off the vibrating orbital sander that had become my saddle.  As a result, my butt (which was mostly numb by this time, thank God) started to un-clench  (Note: if you don't ride a bike you won't know precisely what I'm talking about, but as word pictures go I think it has merit.).  And then, two turns later the marble sized chip/seal resumed.  It lasted the rest of the way to Waelder.  My faith in sadistic bastards restored, I pedaled on to Waelder where Susan was waiting with the RV and lunch.  Being a health food fanatic, lunch consisted of chocolate chip cookie dough and a PB&J.  I married the right gal.  Perfect. (Upon further review, Susan denies responsibility for this lunch.)

After Moulton, TX, I had a nice 10-11 mile leg to Shiner on Texas 95.  (Fairly) new pavement, 6 foot wide shoulder, (very) slight tailwind.  In a word, fun.  And as icing on the cake, I called the Shiner PD to inquire about parking the RV in town.  They very politely told me they had strict rules prohibiting that, but that they also had an RV parking area in their City Park with full hook-ups for the grand sum of $20.  Sold.  We were further impressed when we got there. A pond with ducks, a Martin roost with space for probably 40 growing Purple Martin families, and wild flowers blooming like mad just across the street.  See below... 




Till next time.

1 comment:

  1. The plant in question is an agave. Similar to yuccas, the leave edges of agaves have sharp spines while the leaf edges of yuccas are smooth. Also known locally as the century plant.

    ReplyDelete