INTRODUCTION

Where to begin? It was a dark and stormy night...  (Snoopy).  No. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  ...

Friday, August 2, 2019

The Thin Blue Ride - Part 2 Day 54 - Bazine, KS to Larned, KS

Friday, August 2nd, 2019

Ride Report:  53 Miles, 2,385 Total Miles, 14.8 Avg. mph, 673 Ft. Climbing, 3,487 Calories.  A bit short on the mileage today, but given the distances between towns out here, not much choice.  So, Larned: The destination of choice.  (The local Chamber paid me to say that.)

We were up bright and early this morning.  Well, more accurately put, Susan and the morning were bright and early.  Me - not so much.  And just in time to hear pitter patter on the roof of The Rig. Pitter patter on The Rig’s roof means one of two things: birds (after this much time in The Rig I've learned to distinguish between the running variety and the hopping variety) or rain.  Since there was no concomitant chirping, squawking or other “birdy” noises, I opted for rain.  “Accuweather” radar confirmed same.

BTW - as of last night, this morning was supposed to be cloudy with winds out of the NW, which would have been a tailwind.  Instead, we get rain and winds out of the SE.  To quote Gomer Pyle, “Surprise, surprise.”   I’ve figured out how to accurately predict the weather.  Check out “Accuweather” and plan for the opposite.  What this meant for the start of the day was a rain delay.  I opted for a 1.5 hour nap.  I wanted pics of this momentous occasion, but my nap picture taker was...napping.  It's so hard to find good help now days.  The nap didn't improve my disposition concerning "AccuWeather", but  I suspect the reader may tire of my many and varied gripes on that topic, so I shall move on - until I feel like doing it again.

Once commenced, the day went well but for the wind, which sucked.  Everyone always thinks the wind blows - it doesn't, it sucks.  Check out the day...

This was actually taken last night when we got to Bazine and is where we set up camp for the night.  On the grassy lot immediately East of the Lutheran Church.  We tried to call ahead, but the number had been disconnected.  Turns out that this was because the Church had closed its doors and been sold off.  The guy who bought the parsonage (on the other side of the church) also bought the church and the entire city block on which they both sit.  So, I guess that makes him the local Pope?


Susan likes this one.  Recall the Wildcat cup that my Sister, Deanna, made for Susan?  Well, I dunno if the reader can tell from the many pics of her - but Susan isn't a large woman.  Don't get me wrong - this is better than the alternative.  But it meant that her hand wasn't big enough to pick up the Wildcat cup.  So, Deanna made her a replacement.  This one is smaller and of The Thin Blue Ride variety.  Pretty sharp.  Used by permission of Susan Schoen Photography, LLC.


I found this on the hillside East of Bazine.  I didn't have a problem with it, but suggested that before He took over, He inquire of the local Teamster Rep.  He reported back shortly that The Teamster Rep. wasn't about to step on the Air Line Pilot's Association's (ALPA) toes and bowed out.  OK then - we're good to go.  The hoped for scenario is eternity in a city with gold streets.  This should also free up both hands for taking selfies. 


When I made it to Alexander, the local elevator needed some propping up, so I helped out.  When Susan saw this pic she said that I wasn't smiling.  This is what I get from the peanut gallery.  Maybe she should try holding up an elevator - it's not as easy as it looks.  


Also on the outskirts of Alexander (they're small skirts) sits this rest stop.  An air conditioned lobby, bathrooms, water, picnic tables - it was very well kept.  I gotta think it has something to do with the T/A running thru town.


And just to add a little old west flavor to the day, this infotainment sign was at the rest stop as well.


We also found this guy at the rest stop.  His name is Adrian.  Well, I say we, but Susan found him since she got there first.  She called me and asked if it would be OK to throw Adrian's panniers (70 pounds worth according to Adrian) into The Rig and then he and I could trade pulls to Rush Center some 13 miles down the road.  I was fine with it - always glad for company and someone to share the load.  Adrian is recently retired and riding the T/A aiming for 50-60 miles per day.  He started the day in Ness City and stopped in Rush Center - though he later decided to go 4 miles off route North to La Crosse for a rest day.  Can't say as I blame him - not much available in Rush Center.  And the County Fair is underway in La Crosse.


I guess the sign about says it all.  Apparently Rush Center is a bit insular, no one there having heard of the big parade in New York City.

We had lunch with Adrian in The Rig and then he and I parted ways.  However, as Susan bustled about getting stuff for us both to eat (it was lunch time), Adrian asked her if she had ever been a stewardess?  We both laughed, having discussed this previously.  My take?  She's plenty cute enough, but a bit short for the whole overhead bin thing.  Anyway...

After Rush Center it was 20 miles into a 15-20 mph headwind to get to the intersection of highways 183 and 156, where I would turn East on 156 for Larned.  As I said earlier, wind sucks.  But when I got there...

...I had to wait 7 minutes for three of these to turn left in front of me before I was able to head East.  If you think it looks big here...


...check this out.  Wind turbine blades, for those unfamiliar with them.  These things are so long that the three axles on the rear of the trailer each have articulated steering.  So, the driver turns the rig around the corner, and then steers the rear of the trailer around the corner when it finally gets there.  I'm pretty sure the back of the trailer was in a different time zone.  Amazing.


A scene near and dear to my heart.  The big guy is nearest the camera and his little brother is in the distance.  I remember my Dad plowing with a 3 gang x 16 inch plow when I was a kid.  It took forever to do 40 acres.


Sitting just 6 miles West of Larned is the Ft. Larned national historical site.  We didn't go in since I'd previously seen it on a cross state BAK ride.  Delta loves the whole cavalry thing and imagines himself a modern day steed.  His favorite song is Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive."  What can I say - he has excellent taste in music.  It's worth listening to - check it out on YouTube.  Especially if you're under 30.


And then there was this.  Interestingly, Susan volunteered to set up my Google Maps to get me to our planned destination in Larned during my last rest stop with her in The Rig.  This was curious as she'd not offered to do so before, but being the trusting type and entirely lacking a suspicious nature, I assented.  Then when I make it to this sign, the darn thing interrupts my tunes to tell me, "Turn right in 600 feet and your destination will be on the right."  Hmmm...  She's gonna have to work smarter, not harder.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment